Movie Review: The Founder



I heard of Ray Kroc when some people approached me to join a multi-level marketing group, using him as an example how networking and franchising can help make me rich. I joined the group for a short time but was not really successful in it.

As a result of the above experience, I was intrigue when I heard of The Founder, a movie about Ray Kroc. I was able to identify with him the challenges of trying to sell five-spindle milkshake maker, the frequent rejection he had to face (but I did not find his sales pitch that convincing). His experience with the slow service and wrong orders at the various dining establishments are still present today.

It was incredible to see how Dick was able to remove all things that did not add value to their business and developing a process that made their restaurant very efficient while maintaining quality and consistency. However, Ray Kroc found more value in the brand name.

One of the things Ray learned when he recruited franchisees was that middle-class investors who are willing to put in the effort are more successful compared to the wealthy investors who do not want to bothered by the day to day running of the business.

Another thing learned was that it is difficult to run a business if you charge too little. The 1.4% royalty he charged his franchisees could not cover his running cost and he was running out of money even though his business was striving.

I could understand some moves he made in order to make the business successful, however, I am not happy with some things he did, such as:

  • Divorcing his wife who has been supporting him for many years.
  • Cheating the McDonald brothers of the royalty for their ideas.

I do not know whether what is depicted in the movie is true and if it was, Ray Kroc is not a nice person. I liked the movie for the business and life lessons it teaches.

Disclaimer: I was not paid to write this review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitbit Charge 3 vs Honor Band 5i

Fitbit just added Sleep Score to their app